The HighlightsThe 2009 conference was wonderful. We had 8 Doctors present and more than 120 affected patients, family and friends. As many of you know these conferences can be life changing and this year was no exception!
The PPA would like to thank all of our Medical Advisors who were present at the conference for genersouly sharing their time and expertise with our membership.We would also like to thank the Rosen Center Hotel and the Orange County, FL Paramedics for their attention to detail and for showing great respect and caring to our affected members and their families.
- 4-7 pm Registration, Meet and Greet in the Signature room, 2nd Floor, Rosen Centre Hotel
- 4:30-6:30 pm Miniature Golf for kids under 18 hosted by Jeff Milo and David Smith
- 6:00-7:00 pm Dr. Segal presents SimulConsult software – come interact with Dr. Segal!
- 8:30 am Registration and Signature Room open 2nd Floor
- 9:00 am Welcome from President Jacob Levitt, introduction of Board of Directors , Tribute to Carl
- 9:30 am Dr. Robert Griggs, President of the American Academy of Neurology
- 11:00 am Short Stories from pre-selected members
- 11:50 am Dr. Jonathan Lu, Columbia University
- Lunch (on your own)
- 1:00 pm Dr. Frank Lehmann-Horn, “Art of Listening” Recipient
- 2:45 pm Dr. Horacio Agueros, Misty Smith’s doctor from Austin, Texas
- 3:00 pm Dr. Michael Segal, SimulConsult – Chief Scientist
- 5:00 pm Adjourn
- 5:30 pm Physicians Only Reception
- 9:00am-11:00pm – Salon 19 is open for card games and visiting.
- 8:30 am DNA collection begins, Signature Room Open for all guests
- 9:00 am The Future of the PPA
- 9:30 am Dr. Steve Cannon, Southwestern University, TX
- 11:00 am Physician Panel Question and Answer Session
- 12:00 Lunch (on your own)
- 1:30 pm Group Photo
- 1:45 pm Panel Discussion Continued
- 3:00 pm Small group breakouts by disease with all physicians present
- 3:30 pm End of day evaluations due
- 4:00 pm Goodbye for now! DNA collection ends
- Fundraising and Future Directions Presentation by Linda Feld and Jacob Levitt
- Handout Summarizing the Various Periodic Paralyses and Some Treatments by Jacob Levitt
- Materials Presented by Dr. Robert Griggs
- Treatment and Prevention of Periodic Paralysis
- Bio and Abstract of Periodic Paralysis Review Paper
- Materials Presented by Dr. Frank Lehmann-Horn
- How Can I Cope With HYPO Periodic Paralysis
- Materials Presented by Dr. Stephen Cannon
- Cannon S. Getting a charge out of periodic paralysis. Neurology. 2009;72:1540-1.
- Struyk AF, et al. The Journal of General Physiology. 2008. (not available for posting)
- Materials Presented by Dr. Michael Segal